Thursday, April 19, 2007

Oklahoma

Not much to report here as we passed through spending only three nights, never venturing very far North or South of Interstate 40. Sorry, no picutres, didn't see anything worthy of getting the camera out.

First night’s stop was at exit 1 in Texola. This seemed to be made up of a gas station, convenience mart, restaurant, and RV park. The RV park was called the Double D. Near as I could tell it was named for waistlines and not chest size.

Leaving Texola only moments ahead of a rain storm, we drove all day on the leading edge of the storm. We got set up near Checotah and then the skies emptied. I guess we must have had a credit built up somewhere that allowed us to stay dry until we could get inside.

We stayed two nights here, primarily to let the trailer dry before we pulled in the slides. So we had most of a day to kill. We started the day by trying to get to a wireless hot spot. Found one in the local library, but the network accepted a username/password, said you are now connected to the Internet, and then the connection died. The Librarian directed me to the only other location in town with wireless, it was the McDonald’s. I haven’t used a Mickey D’s before, but it was sweet, really fast. The only downside was that there was a $2.95 per two hour charge. I thought they were all free, but apparently I was allowing my belief in the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy to misguide me.

We then toured, looking for an Okkie from Muskogee. I mean literally, because we drove to Muskogee. But all the folks looked like most any other town, except maybe for a moderately higher percentage of overalls and Carharts.

We did a little tour of the town closest as well, that was Checotah. It turns out it was the site of a Civil War battle, the steer wrestling capital of Oklahoma, and home to Carrie Underwood. Yep, I know, if it wasn’t for the big sign at the edge of town I wouldn’t have know she was the winner of the 2005 American Idol either.

Really though, this is pleasant country. Most of the ground is flat to gently rolling, with lots of green and plenty of lakes. My guess is that it is a bass fisherman’s paradise. It also looks like rich farm land with room for prize winning cattle.

No comments: