Thursday, August 9, 2007

Glacier National Park

Glacier National Park, a part of the Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park World Heritage Site, is a striking landscape. The first time I saw it, probably 30 years ago, I was awed. Now, after returning from Alaska and Canada, it is reduced to just beautiful.

The parks valleys were carved by glaciers, all of which have melted completely or receded to a mere fraction of their original grandeur. They are still awesome. You just can't look at a living glacier without being impressed. By the way, there are a lot of forest fires in the West right now, making for haziness in all shots of anything at a distance.

This is Wild Goose Island, the most photographed spot in the park. I had to elbow my way through the tour bus crowds to claim a spot from which to get you this picture. My apologies to the little old lady whose walker I kicked out from under her in my rush.

The park, having considerable snow fall in the winter, has snow melt to feed its streams and rivers all summer.




The most fun I have while driving through places like this park are the impromptu encounters with the animals. I had this impromptu visit with this mountain goat and kid along with dozens of other tourists. Once somebody spots an animal and stops their vehicle, then everyone stops to see what they've found. Often this ends up as a traffic snarl. I kind of wonder if the animals don't get a kick out of watching those funny looking things with the round legs stop and unload all those parasites that live inside them. Then all those parasites run around willy nilly carrying little boxes that go click. Just a thought.

Nope, not a prairie dog. This is a type of ground squirrel indigenous to mountainous areas. They love to pose for the camera, although if you don't tip they get a little testy.

There are many things to see in GNP. There are endless hiking trails. Many animals, including grizzlies (not my favorite to encounter on one of those hiking trails). Glaciers, waterfalls, and unlimited scenery. Unfortunately it is also a very busy park. Several of the spots I wanted to show Sharon were so crowded we couldn't find parking. Maybe we'll try it again sometime, out of season.

No comments: