Thursday, July 28, 2011

Dallas Divide...again

This summer Sharon and I are traveling around the state of Colorado, participating in arts and crafts shows. I tried to get us into 5 shows this summer, but we were turned down at one. I guess we just weren't crafty enough, but with only 4 shows we have even more time to move about and seek out old friends. By the way, changing our target audience from those at little craft bazaars to those at larger and more prestigious shows has been a good choice, so far. We are definitely finding folks looking for some of our more pricey "art".

But my blog is for tales of our travels and not an advertisement for our jewelry. So, on to the more important issue, what we are seeing.

As we were making a look-see trip to Telluride we crossed the Dallas Divide. I have published pictures before of this area before, which never fails to take my breath away. I guess it does that to Ralph Lauren (clothes) also, because he owns a 100,000 acre ranch that runs along a 7 mile stretch of the highway. This is definitely some of Colorado's finest.

This is a picture across some of LR's land. Here it is almost August and there is still a lot of snow clinging to the mountains. There was an above average snowfall last winter. It looks to me like the snow you see may last until this years winter snows starts, usually with the first snows fall on the higher elevations by mid-September.


While leaning against Ralph's fence to get my pictures, a pair of marmots popped out and began to play. One was roly poly and then there was this guy who is pretty skinny for a marmot. As I moved into position to get a few good shots, the big one went into hiding but this guy seemed to more into being photographed.


He just kinda stretched out and let me click away.


This one is just a shorty to let you know we are still out here. We are in Montrose now, but leaving tomorrow for the eastern slopes. Since the Coors brewery (last blog) we spent some time in Steamboat Springs. I will get around to putting those pictures up soon, as well as another picture or two of Golden (home to Coors brewery).

No comments: