Monday, October 15, 2007

Going to Greer

As I mentioned in the last blog, we are in Show Low, Arizona. We came here to visit friends and because the park offers a special of $99 for the month of October. Not only is this a nice area, the price was right.

Okay, now about the area. Show Low is about 100 miles Northeast of Phoenix at the intersection of US 60 and Arizona highways 77 and 260.

This is NOT the Arizona that you think about when you day dream about fun in the sun. It is NOT creosote bushes, cactus, and blowing sand. This area is high, around 6,000 feet. The altitude keeps the temperature considerably cooler than the Phoenix area. When Phoenix is 115, Show Low is only in the 90’s. This area also gets quite a bit of snow in the winter, making for more moisture. The moisture makes for trees, real trees, like Ponderosa pine and Aspen. This part of Arizona is where the Arizonian desert dwellers escape for the summers.

We recently took a trip from Show Low to Greer, about 60 miles Easterly. The first two pictures are in Greer, a very popular, rustic, and small resort area. The other two are on Lake Hawley and along the road to the Lake.










I must make a small confession. I have touched up these pictures. I wasn’t satisfied with the color rendition my camera captured, so I puffed up the color a notch. For you purists, I apologize, for the rest of you, you are welcome. I am contemplating a new camera as this one seems to have suffered slightly from the fall we took off a skateboard ramp while in Canada. If I do buy a new one, it will be my third digital camera in the last four years. Hope the next one takes falls better the last two.

No comments: